"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." Winnie the Pooh

Friday, March 15, 2013

Some Things I've Learned Lately

Among a variety of classics, language learning tools, and cookbooks, I own a book titled "Things I've Learned Lately" by Danae Jacobson. Every few months I pull it off the shelf and read through her paragraphs of discoveries about life, what makes us tick, and what really matters. This evening as I was sitting on my floor just loving on my dog, this book caught my eye. I flipped it open looking for that perfect page that would reflect the words I must be feeling but hadn't managed to put together myself. And I found it!

"I've learned that...
Dogs really are man's best friend - not so much
that they are ours, but we are theirs,
Heaven's got to be something special,
Coincidences are really 'God things,'
And love always trusts, always hopes."

I have been learning at least 5 things a day for the last 6 months. Everything from the cure to the common cold, to which hospital accepts which insurance, to which procedures require an appointment, which taxi service to call, which prescriptions to call in versus escribe, which doctors will agree with me on which points, and of course, which calls I'm hoping I'm prepared to take. But these are just the logistics and the procedures.

Really...

I've learned that even over the phone, a smile goes a long way
Some prefer to talk and others to listen
It never hurts to tell someone they are doing a great job
And at the end of the day, with some hard work and prayers for compassion....
someone will be thankful I called back, and that one makes it all worth it.

(It may not be obvious, but this picture includes my spinning best "furry" friend, Meisa)

No comments:

Post a Comment